The School Food Trust has made the following recommendations for children under five. Although you do not need to rigidly stick to these every day, they are a good starting point for planning meals.
- Starchy Foods → four portions per day
- Fruit and Vegetables → five portions per day
- Dairy Foods → three portions per day.
- Non-Dairy protein (meat, fish, beans) → two to three portions per day
- Salty or sugary foods and fizzy drinks → only very small amounts
Foods to avoid
- Whole nuts, to avoid choking
- Large fish, such as shark and marlin, which may contain high levels of mercury
Looking to provide your toddler with a healthy, balanced diet? Take a look at our Toddler Meal Planner